1. How long have you been a resident of the Highlands?
I grew up in San Mateo and we have lived in the Highlands since 2014.
2. What do you love most about living in the Highlands?
I love the sense of community and small town feel of the Highlands. Events like the 4th of July fireworks and parade, and Halloween really bring everyone together. Also being surrounded by open space really drew us to the Highlands. Being able to walk out your door and go for a hike, bike ride or trekking over the coastal range is amazing.
3. How long have you served on the BOD?
I am in my second term as a board member and was initially elected in 2017.
4. What inspires you to serve on the BOD?
My kids basically lived at the Rec when they were younger and when a call went out to the community to fill two upcoming vacancies on the BOD, I decided I wanted to give back as we had benefited so much from the Rec.
5. What is one thing you would like the Highlands Community to know about you?
My first memory of the Highlands was coming to a summer swim meet in 1980. I remember coming up on a hot day but the fog rolled in and I got the real introduction. Seeing the fog roll in over the coastal range is now one of my favorite things and I know to have layers ready during the summer.
6. What is the most important challenge for the District in the coming years?
The Rec recently celebrated 60 years of existence which means most of the facilities are 60+ years old and have had minimal improvements. We recently completed retrofitting of the gym, ADA upgrades and building new bathrooms however in the coming years, we will need to address deferred maintenance and some large, expensive capital improvement projects.
7. What is one positive thing you gained during the COVID-19 pandemic? What do you look forward to after the COVID-19 pandemic is behind us?
I normally commute down to San Jose and am out the door before the house wakes up. I’ve enjoyed working from home as it has allowed me to spend more quality time with the family. I’m also planning on working from home at least a couple of days a week going forward. Also, being home, we’ve paid more attention to our garden and had bumper crops this past year. We’ve canned, dried or eaten fresh off the vine and we’re looking forward to continuing that long after COVID-19 is behind us.