The design process began last month for improvements to the Highlands Rec Playground and Sports Court. A kickoff meeting for the project was held on Friday, April 30 which consisted of a site evaluation including a review of existing conditions of the play area, sports court, pathway with detailed measurements and relative elevations. Several potential improvements were discussed that include:
- Improvements to children’s playground for increased play to meet the needs and desires of diverse users
- Inclusion of fitness opportunities for multi-generational users
- Improved picnic area to support small group gatherings
- Upgraded amenities including water fountains with bottle filling stations and benches
- Road and court fence improvements
- Sports court improvements to increase basketball play and allow for more uses such as Pickleball
Preliminary design concepts will be presented at the next Highlands Board of Directors meeting scheduled for June 8. The District anticipates the design process including community engagement activities to take approximately 2-3 months to complete. In the meantime, staff is preparing the grant application to the State as part of the Prop 68 Per Capita Grant program. To learn more about the project and provide your input visit our project website.